Motor oil is motor oil, right? Yes and no. Not all motor oil is created equal.
Thanks to advances in technology, synthetic motor oil offers many benefits over its conventional counterpart. We’ll tell you what they are in a sec.
But first, let’s start with the basics.
What does motor oil do for your vehicle?
Take it from our maintenance tech, Brianna: “Oil is the blood of the engine. It’s the #1 thing you can do for your car.”
Motor oil helps:
- Reduce friction and wear between engine parts.
- Protect your car’s vital components.
- Control hot and cold temperature variation.
- Improve the reliability, efficiency, and lifespan of your vehicle.
So what is synthetic oil?
Many people get confused about the word, synthetic. While the exact definition depends on who you ask, it all comes down to two pieces of the puzzle:
- The Base: Synthetic oil is more chemically-engineered than conventional oil, so its molecules are more uniform in shape and size, with fewer impurities. Only high-quality synthetic oils, such as Pennzoil Platinum®, use a base of natural gas. Conventional oils and lesser synthetic oils use crude oil as a base, which tends to have more impurities.
- The Additives: Motor oil formulas today are roughly 20% additives. Both conventional and synthetic oils use additives. The difference is usually a matter of quality. Synthetic oils often come with higher-quality additives that protect, clean and do not degrade as quickly between oil changes.
Is synthetic oil better?
OK, so synthetic oil has fewer impurities and better additives—but what does that actually mean for you and your vehicle?
Top synthetic oil, such as Pennzoil Platinum, benefits can include:
- Better hot and cold temperature performance, so you enjoy worry-free start-ups in freezing weather, and less burn-off when it’s scorching.
- Enhanced resistance to motor oil breakdown due to oxidation and extreme heat.
- Improved fuel economy, so you can save money on gas!
- Reduced engine drag for better horsepower.
- Less engine sludge, thanks to fewer impurities.
- Less frequent oil changes, which saves time (always follow your manufacturer scheduled maintenance intervals).
- Greater engine wear protection.
Is synthetic oil right for my vehicle?
The advantages we just listed make synthetic oil, like Pennzoil Platinum, a better option for most vehicles. Always refer to your specific vehicle manufacturer’s guidelines before choosing a motor oil type.
Synthetic oil costs more than conventional oil. But for most vehicles, the benefits speak for themselves in the long run.
We only carry the best motor oil brands at Firestone Complete Auto Care. Our technicians are ready to help you pick out the right type of oil for your car’s needs, whether it’s a healthy dose of synthetic oil, a synthetic blend, conventional oil, or high mileage oil. Check out these oil change coupons, stop into your local Firestone Complete Auto Care for an oil change, and talk with a tech about your car today!