Few sounds grab your attention as much as weird tire noises.
- Squeals while turning? That’s worth a raised eyebrow.
- Persistent humming along the highway? Insert curious head tilt.
- A “womp womp womp” competing with your favorite song? That one might cause you to grip the steering wheel a little tighter!
Tires are essential for keeping you (safely) on the move. If your car’s tires don’t work, you’re not going very far! Let’s put some mysteries to rest—and your mind at ease—by investigating these weird tire noise cases.
The Mystery of the Squealing Tires
Squealing tire suspects include under-inflated tires, improperly aligned tires (causing one tire to drag across the surface of the road), and fast stops and starts. You can solve this mystery by:
- Ensuring that your tires are properly inflated
- Having your tires professionally aligned
- Starting and stopping slowly and decelerating before turning
The Mystery of the Humming Tires
Humming tire suspects include faulty wheel bearings and uneven wear on the tires. You can solve this mystery by:
- Having your vehicle’s wheel bearings inspected and serviced by a trained technician
- Getting your tires rotated according to manufacturer’s recommendations
During a tire inspection or rotation, you may learn that your tires are too worn to safely continue driving on. The U.S. Department of Transportation recommends replacing tires when they reach 2/32” of tread depth, and many states legally require tires to be replaced at this depth. Ask your technician to measure your tread depth and consider buying tires online. A new set is often more affordable than you think!
The Mystery of the Tires That Go “Womp Womp”
“Womp womp” tire suspects include alignment issues, worn suspension parts, and improper tire inflation. You can solve this mystery by:
- Taking your vehicle in for a professional wheel alignment
- Getting a safety inspection to identify parts that need replacement or repair
- Making sure that your tires are neither under-inflated nor over-inflated, which can also help reduce tire wear
Hearing any of these mysterious tire noises? Choose your local Firestone Complete Auto Care for a quiet ride and tire repairs, alignments, and safety inspections you can count on. If you suspect something is wrong with your vehicle’s tires, don’t hesitate to stop by! One of our tire technicians will inspect your vehicle, diagnose the tire noise, and advise you on the next steps that are needed to keep you safe on the road.